Monday, January 10, 2005

Here I Am

So, here I am...back at school. It has been over two years since I was last here. I don't remember it being this cold...or the ground being so slick. I am happy to say that I have avoiding falling thus far. It is weird being back. I have to try and remember where everything is...all the buildings and things. It is going to be a very difficult semester, I can tell. I told Bethany that I just didn't care and I didn't want to put in the effort of making friends. But in spite of my inhibitions...I guess I did make new friends. I mean we aren't like best friends yet or anything...but they are nice and friendly and I could see us doing stuff together. I am trying out for a play with one of my roommates..."Steal Magnolias." It sounds fun...but I know I'm not going to get a part. This is BYU-I after all...the parts will go to theater majors and stuff...plus I never have much luck with auditions. It is awkward and I never end up playing the part the way that I wanted to. But hopefully it will be a fun experience and I will grow, or some crap like that, from it. My classes have been okay so far. I have gone to all but one of them. My math class was canceled because our teacher has a conference or something. My math class is probably in the building that is farthest away from where I live...in fact I know it is the farthest building away from where I live. Wednesday was my first official day and it was a good day. I went to my Book of Mormon class and found out that I needed to sell back the books I bought because we do not need them. My teacher is nice and the class does not seem overly difficult. Then I waited around for my next class to start. While I waited I went to the bookstore to buy a textbook that cost $70! Stupid books. This would have been the time that my math class was at, but like I said...it got canceled. So then I went to my Vocal Instruction class. I think it will be a fun class. My teacher is soooo funny! The first thing she did was sing as she walked into the room. It was not like she was singing a song either...she was just talk-singing. She seems really fun and really nice and hopefully she can help my singing improve. So that was my first day. My second day was good, but not AS good. First I went to my Technical writing class...oh my gosh HARD! I have to do a 15 page paper. I swear I am never taking an English class again!!! It was okay though...again nice teacher. The first thing we did in the class was make paper airplanes...with instructions on how to make it. Then we swapped instructions and tried to build another person's airplane. Then we went into the hall and threw the airplanes at the teacher. If we hit her we got extra credit...not many people were able to hit her. I noticed that the girls all made their airplanes the same way...and the boys went ALL out. So then I went to Fiction class. The teacher started by telling us how difficult the class was and that we were taking the long way around by using this class to earn general credits. But after he went over everything it seems really easy. There is a lot of reading though. We have four take home exams and one final that is just an essay about one of the exam questions. That and the reading is all that there is. We got out early so I had to wait a while for my Micro applications class to start. This one will be hard. We have to learn to do spreadsheets and databases using Excel and Access. It does not seem easy. Plus our teacher is like the stereotypical computers teacher...overweight, glasses, slicked hair, sci-fi fan...the works. I really hope I do well this semester. I found out that a friend I had from the last time I was up here lives in the complex next to me. I haven't seen her yet but we are trying to get together. Maybe she will come with me to see "The Phantom of the Opera" which does not open here until the 21st. I love that movie!!! This weekend we are supposed to get this huge storm here. It is supposed to be the worst one in 30 years. Our dorm leaders sent out a notice telling us to stay inside, to stock up on food and water, and that the power might go out so we should have flashlights. I have a little book light...but whatever. I wonder how much snow we will get? I hope not too much...it is a long walk up to the campus...maybe they will cancel classes and church and stuff...that would rock!!! I have no storage space in my apartment. Like there is plenty of room in the bathroom area and no room in the kitchen...I keep my food in my closet. It turns out that I actually got the big room...sure I share it with someone...but it is a lot bigger than the dorm bedrooms were...it is nice. The internet is slow here but at least it works...mine is the only one in the apartment that is working...I think it's because I had my dad fix it for me...it is still slow, but that is probably because I am used to DSL at home. I guess this is it for now...I really don't have much more to say...so I guess I will write more later.

1 comment:

luminarumbra said...

Gah! No... paragraph breaks.... Killing... English major....

I've heard of Steel Magnolias, but I'm not familiar with it. If you haven't done the audition yet, you might want to read the play and/or rent the movie. It will give you a better idea of what to do when you try out.

I hope you enjoy your time at school. As I'm getting to the end of mine, I feel like I've learned a lot and have more direction for my life than I did, but I imagine I'll actually post on that when it gets closer to graduation.

I hope you stay safe through the storm.