Sunday, May 11, 2014

Still Waiting...

I am not a patient person.  I know this about myself.  I try to be patient; or I guess I try to pretend that I am patient.  I hate being in a holding pattern.  I still feel like moving back to Southern California was the right decision, but there have been some pitfalls that don't really give me a positive outlook on life.

I have applied for jobs in several of the school districts in Southern California.  I am trying to stay within an hour of home.  My other requirements are that they pay enough for me to live on my own, and that the area is safe.  Other than that, I don't feel like I am being too picky.  I have heard back from several districts already, including my dream district, and have been placed in eligibility pools.  I have interviewed with a few districts, but others just put me in the pool based on my qualifications.

My dream district was one of those that just put me in pool.  However, I need to have a screening interview with the district before I am allowed to interview with principals.  I think that they rank the applicants and then principals can choose the ones they want to talk to in the future.  A friend of mine is in a long-term position and had her screening interview a while ago.  She has site interview really soon.  I have heard nothing.

There are a few teachers at my mom's school that have been really supportive and encouraging.  They said that the first round of interviews were for long-term positions only.  Okay, that sort of makes sense; but only for a few of those positions.  Some of those positions are just luck of the draw.  I could have received a long-term position as well, had there been an opening.  They just go to substitutes.  No extra qualifications or experience required.  When there is an opening, either the school requests someone or the district goes down a list and asks who is interested.  Not really fair.  This isn't what happened to my friend.  She actually runs a program within the district.

I am trying not to be jealous, but it is frustrating and difficult.  She already has another interview set up and I have heard nothing.  I am having a hard time staying positive.  Even in the other districts that I have had screening interviews with, I have heard nothing.  My interviews have gone well, they said they were impressed.  Now I am just supposed to wait.  I get that there is a process.  Teachers who want to transfer get first priority.  I assume there is a final deadline where no more transfers are allowed, and they have to actually start hiring; but it is taking forever!  Every few days another list of open transfer positions is sent to the schools.  I can't apply directly for any of them.

Then when I hear that a few people are getting site interviews already, it makes me very nervous.  I would feel a lot better if I could get the initial interview.  I emailed the head of HR to find out where they are in the process.  I hope that he has a clear, and positive, answer for me.  The last few times I have spoken with him, he has been very vague about everything.  I just want to know my chances!

I needed to vent and remember this moment of frustration.  Hopefully I look back in a months, once I have a full-time job, and laugh about how nervous I was.  I hope!  I just don't know if I can sub for another year, both emotionally and financially.  I think about looking for another job, but then I would lose my place in the district.  Usually they hire current employees, including subs, for upcoming positions.

I guess I just need your prayers.  Prayers that I will find a job and that it will be the right fit for me.  Maybe the perfect job is just around the corner and it will all work out.  I just get tired of praying for the same things night after night and never having them answered.  I will keep praying and trying, but I am feeling very discouraged right now....

No comments: